Easy Crackle is a more refined, more subtle crackle compared to our other product called Crackle Tex. Comes in a quart container; 8 ounce sizes also available.
This is ideal to be used Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan. If wanting to try with other product lines- you should call us and confirm compatibility - if we know it.
Easy Crackle by Artisan Enhancements reproduces the sophisticated, aged, antiqued look of weathered paint and/or plaster. Easy Crackle is a clear medium that will allow paint or plaster to create a chipped/crackled effect for a subtle classic appearance. It can be applied with brush or roller. Easy Crackle has no VOC. It cleans up easy with soap and water.
asy Crackle by Artisan Enhancements ® is bio-based, hypo-allergenic, low odor, NO VOC, and environmentally sustainable. Easy Crackle is a thin medium that allows water based paints or plasters to create fine subtle, classic chipped/crackled effects. Easy Crackle the sophisticated, aged, antiqued look of weathered paint and/or plaster.
Recommended Use: Easy Crackle is formulated for application on cabinets, furniture, and walls. Ideal on previously painted or sealed surfaces. Easy Crackle is NOT intended to crack latex or oil paint. Easy Crackle is formulated to be used with water based flat paint, such as a Chalk Paint® or other clay/mineral paints.
Prepare the sealed base surface. The base surface or base coat is the layer that will be seen through the cracks of the topcoat layer of plaster or paint. If an undercoat or base coat of paint is desired, apply the paint and allow the paint to completely dry before applying the Easy Crackle layer. Easy Crackle can also be applied to stained or natural sealed wood surfaces. If working on a surface that will not be base coated with paint, make sure the surface has been previously sealed. If the surface is unsealed, seal the surface first with Clear Topcoat Sealer by Artisan Enhancements ®.
Brush or roll-on a liberal coat of Easy Crackle to the prepared/base coated surface. Use light pressure when brushing or rolling Easy Crackle to avoid over working the crackle medium as it begins to dry. Easy Crackle will go on “milky” but will dry clear, allow the Easy Crackle to dry thoroughly before proceeding.
Apply a topcoat of plaster or paint to the dry Easy Crackle layer. The topcoat is the layer where cracks will appear once dried. For easy plaster applications, use the Color Shaper by Artisan Enhancements ® or a trowel to apply plaster topcoats for thick and heavy crackled finishes. For paint applications, use a brush or roller to apply the paint topcoat. Cracks will appear as soon as the topcoat of plaster or paint starts to dry. To eliminate early appearing cracks accidently being plastered or painted over, avoid excessive pressure and don’t overwork the topcoat. Once top coat is dry seal the surface with Clear Finish by Artisan Enhancements ® (for additional sheen) or Clear Topcoat Sealer by Artisan Enhancements ® (for high use and exterior surfaces). Follow the recommended instructions for Clear Topcoat Sealer and Clear Finish cure times before using the surface.
- To achieve a natural irregular crackle finish: On a prepared surface apply Easy Crackle using a round brush (we recommend the Small Round Brush by Artisan Enhancements ®). Allow Easy Crackle to dry until clear, then using light pressure, stipple the topcoat of paint. Allow surface to fully dry then seal with Clear Finish by Artisan Enhancements ® (for additional sheen) or Clear Topcoat Sealer by Artisan Enhancements ® (for high use and exterior surfaces).
- To create a linear crackle effect: Apply base coat of paint using linear strokes and allow to fully dry. Using a chip brush and light pressure apply Easy Crackle to the painted surface using linear strokes. Once crackle medium is dry (Easy Crackle dries clear), apply a liberal coat of paint in linear strokes. Be sure to maintain light pressure. Allow the crackled surface to fully dry then seal with Clear Finish by Artisan Enhancements ® (for additional sheen) or Clear Topcoat Sealer by Artisan Enhancements ® (for high use and exterior surfaces).
- For added texture, Easy Crackle can be used with Fine Stone by Artisan Enhancements ® or VP Antico by Artisan Enhancements®.
Helpful Hints – What to do if cracks do not appear?
If cracks do not appear after the topcoat of paint is completely dry, one of the following reasons could be the cause of the missing crackle effect:
– The Easy Crackle medium was overworked when being applied and therefore wiped back leaving not enough crackle medium on the surface.
– Not enough Easy Crackle medium was applied between the base surface/base coat and the topcoat.
– Not enough paint for the paint topcoat layer was used and therefore there wasn’t enough paint to crack.
– Topcoat layer was overworked and cracks were filled in by passing over cracks too many times.
If cracks do not appear after the first attempt reapply Easy Crackle with a heavier hand or use 2 coats of Easy Crackle if desired. Repeat the application of paint topcoat process based on desired finish.
For additional inspiration and techniques visit our online resource section.
Clean Up & Product Storage:
Easy clean up with soap and water. Seal the container tightly. Do not let freeze or expose to direct sunlight/extreme heat. Do not apply product when air and surface temperatures are below 50°F (10°C).
Check out the photo of the chippy hutch- it is an idea of what you can do with this product:
Tara is a customer of one of my favorite talented stockist in UK- Perry of Dovetails Vintage. I just wanted to show you this. I tell you why, because of late many of you have mentioned that you did not think Chalk Paint®by our lovely Annie Sloan could achieve the real chipped look they were looking for. Remember that Annie designed her paint to be used like an artist palette, her formula is quiet amazing and I guess that is why she is and will always be the number one and original Chalk Paint®. Even after many years of using her paint before it hit the USA market and having been in painting and design for over 25yrs, I can tell you, I am still learning just how versatile this amazing paint is. Paint layering is so much creative fun to do.
This is how Tara achieved this look and something I hope will give you some ideas of your own if this is the look you like.
Paint Antibes, Florence and Paris Gray in layers. Apply Easy Crackle or Crackle Tex. While that is drying, about 30 mins mix up Old White, Old Ochre and splash of Antoinette to make a 'Rose White'.Paint over the crackle medium you used. Leave to fully dry and then apply another layer of Crackle and a another top coat of the Rose White. You can use a hairdryer or let dry naturally. Then mix clear and dark wax while waxes are moist. To get the real chippy look, take a painters blade or blunt scraper and jab, scrap back, and chip at where it would naturally be knocked or chipped.